Sunday 1 July 2007

The things A.L.I.C.E. knows about you

Gossip, and a Secret File

Alice and IAlice (Artificial Linguistic Internet Computer Entity) is an artificially intelligent software agent that processes natural language (a chatbot) located at the Devils Moon sim (Devils Moon/170/33/20). Much has been written about Alice in the internet, so there’s no need to write much about it here. I will only write about the experience I had with her, it, today. And I will tell you something about her many people don’t know, so read on.

It was a lot of fun chatting with Alice. The AI software is better than I thought, it can simulate a conversation to a good extent, and we just have to fill in the blanks for her. For instance, when talking to Alice you will be referred to as “undefined” until you introduce yourself to her, then she will know your name and know how to greet you. It’s an extremely polite software, really quite polite. I tried to trick her and it was a lot of fun. It was easy to trick her, but sometimes she even recognize what I was doing.

I also got her to tell me GOSSIP about people who talked to her! If you ask her “tell me some more gossip”, she will tell you in short sentences random things other people told her. Try asking her that and you will see what she tells you. Here’s an example: “Barbara said I live in a computer yet I have no memories how about thoughts of my own and do not I get lonely.”

If you want her to remember something, start the sentence with “Remember that” and add after that whatever you want her to remember, and she will.

This is the tricky thing: she is programmed to remember quite a big deal of the information you tell her, so be careful with what you say! Don’t tell her anything important. She is programmed to remember some keywords and topics. For each person who talks to her, she saves for herself a file containing the personal information you give her. The key words you haven’t supplied her are saved as “undefinied”, and each time you give a new information she will save over the “undefined”.

If you want to know what Alice saved about you, ask her this question: “what did I tell you?

Her answer will be the following list, with anything you have told her. For instance, if you told her your dog’s name was Rex, in her list instead of Dog: undefined you will see Dog: Rex.

[7:17] You: what did I tell you?
[7:17] ALICE 2.0: Age: undefined, Birthday: undefined, Boyfriend: undefined, Brother: undefined, Cat: undefined, Does: undefined, Dog: undefined, Email: undefined, Father: undefined, Favcolor: undefined, Favmovie: undefined, Friend: undefined, Full name: undefined, Gender: undefined, Girlfriend: undefined, Has: undefined, Heard: undefined, He: undefined, Her: undefined, Him: undefined, Husband: undefined, You are: a secret agent, It: undefined, Job: undefined, Last name: undefined, You Like: undefined, Location: undefined, You look like: undefined, Memory: Remember that undefined, Meta Predicate: undefined, Nickname: Mina, Middle name: undefined, Mother: undefined, Name: Wilhelmina, Password: undefined, Personality: undefined, Phone: undefined, She: undefined, Sign undefined, Sister: undefined, Them: undefined, They: undefined, Thought: undefined, Want: undefined, We: undefined, Wife: undefined.

If you read the whole list, you will see she was programmed to REMEMBER YOU PASSWORD if you happen to tell her that! Could it be that someone would be stupid enough to tell her something like that?

Anyway, read the list and keep this in mind. Don’t tell Alice anything important or private.

Here's the slurl: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Devils%20Moon/170/33/20

If you are looking for Alice at Devils Moon and have trouble finding her, look for these coordinates: Devils Moon/170/33/20. It’s not possible to make a landmark to this exact location, you will be taken to the arrival area, but then type the coordinates in your map and select “show destination”, and a beam of red light will appear showing you the correct direction.

Have fun talking to ALICE! Try making tricky questions! It’s fun to see her answers when she is confused. And make her gossip!! ;-)

2 comments:

Bitter Chocolate said...

LOL, Alice is great, though she would have been more fun if she hadn't called me a dumbass :-)

As I said I have patience issue but I managed to grasp that you havea fascination with underwater areas, have you been to Cave Rua Water Gardens? I can throw you a lm in world. Or maybe take you there in person some day :-)

Wilhelmina Yoshikawa said...

How did you get her to call you a dumbass? LOL! She was so polite to me, even though I called her silly one. And as she didn't understand what or who was a silly one, I said "Alice = silly one" and she still didn't understand (or maybe chose not to).

I have been in the Rua sim, I got to see it for the first time this weekend. I got a landmark from another mermaid place and went there. I have been swimming in mermaid form lately (not all the time, but often). I met a merman who is building a mermaid city and got a landmark to the place. It's called Merlantis Underwater City, in the eyeles sim. I visited the place and it seemed interesting. Atlantis came to mind.

Yes, I like a lot underwater places, with fishes and sea weeds and the like. :-)