Friday 20 July 2007

Auto-emote and Miranda.smart HUD

Because of a recent RL accident, I can’t use the mouse with my right hand, but I can still type! :-) Though at a slower speed than normally and using mostly the left hand, and one or two fingers of my right hand. I don’t write about RL here, so if you want to hear what happened ask me inworld.


SL crashed often this morning so since I can’t go there and visit the place I wanted to see, I decided to write here instead. I started writing this yesterday after purchasing and testing the Miranda.smart HUD. I have seen in the net some few texts comparing these two HUDS, but they haven’t mentioned a few things one should know in order to make an informed decision on which one to buy. So I will write shortly about pros and cons, and at the end of this article you will find links with more information on the HUDS and also SLurls to the places where you can purchase them. Please follow those links for more information on each HUD’s features and pictures.


Auto-emote and Miranda.smart HUD are both HUDs that allow your avatar to express emotions. You can either choose the emotion you want to display, or you can turn on the automatic option, which makes emotion displays accordingly to certain sentences or keywords you write in your chat line.


Auto-emote was designed by Outy Banjo and costs 300 lindens. It has a set of facial expressions (angry, happy, kiss, etc..). It works wonderfully.


In this picture auto-emote is making my av laugh:



Miranda.smart HUD has more than only facial expressions, it has also avatar animations and screen effects. It costs only 100 lindens. But although it is cheaper and has more options, it has some problems that Auto-emote doesn’t have. Miranda’s facial expressions stop working easily, and though the sounds still work (kissing, laughter, etc), the avatar stops making the facial expressions. This is very annoying and the only way to make it work again is to quit SL and login again. I tried to detach the hud and attach it again but it doesn’t help.


Here’s a Miranda’s avatar effect: sending a kiss with hearts




Miranda’s screen effects are wonderful for taking photos, though. But you better FIRST pick up the angle for the photo (I mean Alt+click) and only then you choose a screen effect. This is because after you have selected a screen effect (for instance, fog), if you Alt+click your avatar to choose an angle/zoom for the pic, it won’t work. Maybe the screen effect is a sort of layer between your avatar and the screen (?), anyways, it stops you from Alt-clicking your av. Otherwise, the effects are great.




Some of Miranda’s avatar animations don’t work right if you are using an animation overrider. I use Wet Ikon Franimation Overrider with standing and walking animations. To see correctly the miranda’s animations, I have to detach my Wet Ikon first. I have to test Miranda and ZHAO AO hud to see if the same happens, but I bet the same would happen.


I’m using both Auto-emote and Miranda.smart HUD at the same time. If you ask me which one you should get, I would say: either buy both of them, or if it’s only facial animations you want, get then only Auto-emote (otherwise you would get disappointed when miranda’s expressions stop working). Although auto-emote is more expensive and it only has facial expressions (no sounds and no screen effects), it works really well.


You can get them inworld from here:


More info on Miranda.smartHUD:


More info on Auto-emote:

No comments: